Everybody loves a bright white smile, and there are a variety of products and procedures available to help you to improve your smile.
Occasionally, a simple dental cleaning to remove surface stains may be all you need to whiten teeth. However, if you want to make your smile even whiter, here are a few options:
In office whitening (chair side bleaching) – generally requires only one office visit. A barrier will be placed to cover your gums to protect them from the whitening gel. The procedure will take approximately 1 hour.
At home whitening – custom whitening trays are fabricated for your teeth. Whitening gel is given to the patient and instructed how to put the gel in the trays. These trays are worn for 30 min or overnight to accomplish desire results of whiter teeth.
The Facts about Tooth Whitening:
- Dental crowns and white filing/composite fillings will not whiten.
- Teeth sensitivity is a common side effect. The sensitivity is not permanent and will disappear in the next few days
- Fluoride and Sensodyne toothpaste will help with the discomfort.
- The lightening process continues for 1 day after the whitening. You should not drink tea, coffee, cola or smoke for 24 hrs.
- Before whitening, teeth must be clean, to allow for whitening gel to come in contact with the teeth.