A bridge replaces a missing tooth. The procedure is to prepare one tooth on each side of the missing tooth for a crown. The teeth adjacent the missing tooth will share the load of the missing teeth. Then the lab fabricates a bridge that will connect both sides. The finished result is an esthetic replacement.
Bridge vs. Implants – The Big Debate
Implant and bridges function very differently, but both replace missing teeth.
- To complete a bridge procedure will take approximately a few weeks.
- The bone height/width of missing tooth area is not a factor.
- The crown teeth of the bridge share extra forces and can cause bone loss.
- Cleaning under a bridge is more difficult.
- The adjacent teeth are not needed for support.
- Implants are more conservative.
- Implants are easier to clean.
- Implants generally last longer than bridges.
- Implants take longer to complete.